Don't be fooled by the name - Buena Vista Conference Center is actually a Greek Revival style mansion that was built between 1845 and 1847 by Delaware and U.S. Statesman John Middleton Clayton. The grand home was passed down through the Clayton family until 1914, when it was sold to T. Coleman DuPont. Buena Vista continued to serve as a private family home until 1965, when it was acquired by the state.
Aside from being an absolutely beautiful venue, Buena Vista's best feature is its versatility. Different areas of the mansion can be rented out for parties ranging in size from just a few dozen to 250 guests. The period correct dining room is perfect for a shower or rehearsal dinner, the impressive Buck Library is a dramatic space for a medium sized event, and the expansive, peaceful estate is the ideal setting for a larger outdoor wedding.
Photos by Lisa Bixby